Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Week 5: Time Complexity & First Test

This week we studied Time Complexity, mainly about the method to estimate how much time a program would take to do a job. This lecture seems to be a disaster to me, because the methods involved some techniques and terms that I had never heard of while all my classmates have learned them in CSC165! I even didn't know what the terms "lower bounds", "upper bounds", "big-oh" and "big-omega" mean! I just tried my best to follow the lecture.

 I do need to thank a lot to two of my new friends Jason and Harry! Jason is my classmate in CSC236, and he taught me about the concepts of those terms after class. Harry sent me some lecture notes of CSC165, so that I can refer to when I found some background knowledge missing. Just as the old Chinese saying goes: "You have to depend on your parents when at home, and you have to depends on your friends when away from home!"

We also had out first term test this week. And it was my first term test in UofT. The difficulty of the term test is appropriate. Again, if you attend all the classed and do some exercises, this won't be a problem.:)

I didn't take much note on this week's lecture, because it was already hard for me to catch up with the pace. But I did set down the meaning of Big-Oh and Big-Omega in my note. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment